January 13, 2006

You're not that deep.

Why do people insist on writing horrible “poetry” and then putting it online for all the world to see? For example, here’s a lovely tidbit that I recently acquired (and yes, the original font color was pink):

this is because i can spell confusion with a “k”
and i can like it
its to dying in anothers arms
and why i had to try it
its to jimmy eat world
and those nights in my care
when the first star you see
may not be a star
im not your star
isn’t that what you said
what you thought this song meant…


Microsoft Word wouldn’t let me just type in the “poem” as is. I had to go back and insert all(llllllll) of the spelling and grammatical errors (with much difficulty/annoyance, I might add). Before I extrapolate on grammar/spelling, you should know that this person majored in “inclusive elementary education.” That’s right, people! She wants to teach the children of the world and lead them to a better tomorrow! I am outraged. She doesn’t seem to fully realize the function of the apostrophe, much less know that “its” is a possessive pronoun. Furthermore, why would you spell confusion with a “k?” Last I checked, confusion was spelled fine just the way it is. She has no right to disagree with the dictionary. I’ll let the complete lack of capitalization slide, seeing as there have been great poems written without them. But these were works loaded with literary devices, allusions, metaphors, etc. This, on the other hand, is loaded with crap.

Now, I don’t claim to be a literary master by any means, but what does this (piece of shit) mean? Let’s run through it together.

this is because i can spell confusion with a “k”
and i can like it


Why would you like spelling confusion with a “k?” As far as I’m concerned, this lines means nothing, except that you’ll have that annoying red underline in Word telling you it’s wrong. There’s no reason to like it. At all.

its to dying in anothers arms
and why i had to try it


If only she would die, then there’d be a little less crap all over the internet. But, according to this, she did try to die. Clearly she failed, just as she is failing in drawing any emotion out of the reader.

its to jimmy eat world
and those nights in my care


Why jimmy eat world? If you’re going to cite a specific musical group, it’d be best to allude to why, especially if said group has not made a significant, universally accepted contribution to the musical world. Did she spend nights caring for someone while listening to them? Or is “care” a typo, and she really meant they listened to jimmy eat world in her car? The world may never know. This is what bad grammar/spelling does. It makes everything you write questionable.

when the first star you see
may not be a star


If the first star you see wasn’t a star. Logically, there can be no first star. Perhaps she should have written “the first light you see.” That would at least hint at a bit of sense in her unquestionably empty mind.

im not your star
isn’t that what you said
what you thought this song meant…

What I’m getting out of this is a breakup. It’s a classic love story: girl loves boy; boy finds girl idiotic; boy leaves girl; girl tortures others with inane poetry. I say, kudos to the dude for leaving her. That’s one less mind suffering immeasurable damage. The last line implies that he had an idea of what all this means, but is incorrect in his assumption. However, there is no evidence as to an alternate meaning. It’s kind of difficult to have an alternate meaning when there is no initial meaning. Here’s what I think this “song” means: I’m a mindless simpleton who can’t stop obsessing over an old boyfriend. To alleviate my pain, I spread it onto others via my writings. I have no sense of good English and am unable to hit F7, which would fix my language for me. Perhaps I lack dexterity as well as intelligence.

Lesson of the day: If you’re going to post poetry where others can read it, it needs to have something going for it, if not some deeper meaning, then at least good spelling. Clearly, this person has neither. I can only hope that her depression progressed to the point of suicide.

2 hatebacks:

Anonymous said...

I know who you are, what you do.
I read you like a book.
All your silly games, all your little hooks.
You think it's so simple, I'll keep coming back.
If only I was unaware, you would be correct.
But I wear you like a shirt; paint a heart in your chest.
Silly boy, you think it's you I bless.
You should consider less.
I see right through you; I see so far...
And I wish it were different,
But then I would be thrown off course.
Because it's never different,
With a mind bought, so tainted and wrong.
So cold hearted; I am distraught,
So it leads me to linger in your faults.
But it wouldn't matter to any other thought,
Because I see that person
Who hides behind what I seemingly long.
I can read your corrupt mind and taste your poisoned lips,
But the placebo effect nulls its affects.
Too late you'll see; it's me you needed.
When you're done being crooked,
And you'll think I was waiting,
But I've seen too far to travel in a distant course,
Still and always holding one regret
Of being aware of your heart.

Ellis said...

I googled the poem, and apparently it's a portion of a song by Something Corporate called Konstantine. So not only did that person plagiarize, they butchered the spelling to make it look like it was original!